When are NARUC Rate Schools?
Rate School is held twice a year. When the meetings are in person, the Spring Rate School is held in Coronado, California and Fall Rate School is held in Clearwater, Florida.
Spring Rate School: May 14 – 19, 2023 (registration opens late February 2023)
Fall Rate School: October 15 – 20, 2023
Spring Rate School: May 12 – 16, 2024
Fall Rate School: 2024 TBD
What is Rate School?
NARUC’s Rate School has been a success story for 50 years!
Rate School is an affordable, comprehensive, course offering students the fundamentals of utility rate
making by working on a “mock” utility rate case. Learn from experienced faculty in a casual, hands-on format which encourages an interactive team approach. By the end of the class students will have developed a revenue requirement for Suburban and will be ready to design rates.
Working in teams of various disciplines, together with an experienced coach, students will learn:
- The economic and legal basis for cost of service regulation;
- Basic ratemaking adjustments;
- How to develop a rate-base;
- The intricacies of the rate of return statement;
- How to calculate the cost of equity and overall cost of capital;
- Rate design and cost of service methodologies;
- Current trends impacting the water and energy industries.