When are NARUC Rate Schools?
Rate School is held twice a year. When the meetings are in person, the Western Rate School is held in Coronado, California and Eastern Rate School is held in Clearwater, Florida.
43rd Annual Western Rate School: May 8 – 13, 2022
50th Annual Eastern Rate School: October 16 – 21, 2022
44th Annual Western Rate School: May 14 – 19, 2023
51st Annual Eastern Rate School: October 15 – 20, 2023
45th Annual Western Rate School: May 12 – 16, 2024
52nd Annual Eastern Rate School: TBD
What is Rate School?
NARUC’s Utility Rate School has been a success story for 50 years!
Rate School is an affordable, comprehensive, course offering students the fundamentals of utility rate
making by working on a “mock” utility rate case. Learn from experienced faculty in a casual, hands-on format which encourages an interactive team approach. By the end of the class students will have developed a revenue requirement for Suburban and will be ready to design rates.
Working in teams of various disciplines, together with an experienced coach, students will learn:
- The economic and legal basis for cost of service regulation;
- Basic ratemaking adjustments;
- How to develop a rate-base;
- The intricacies of the rate of return statement;
- How to calculate the cost of equity and overall cost of capital;
- Rate design and cost of service methodologies;
- Current trends impacting the water and energy industries.